Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ummm - Can I just start off by saying Yum!

 Sunday dinner's are my favorite - Lately we have been trying something new - Mostly thanks to all of your wonderful suggestions - {by the way} thanks for all being here - I am loving this site and loving all the wonderful recipes! It makes it so much easier compared to a regular cookbook - to think hey she makes this for her family often - it must be a winner - you know what I mean! anyway thanks guys!                                                                                                              

Ok so back to the meal of the day...

Spaghetti with Meatballs...

don't laugh I know it's basic - but I like that!
& I had never made my own Meatballs before - 
& I was quite proud because they came out rather tastey if I do say so myself... 
And it was kind of a little bit healthier twist to the original.

Preheat the oven to 375

Meat Balls

- 2 slices of whole grain white bread torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup of Milk ( we used fat free )
- 1 pound of ground turkey  or chicken ( we used turkey ) 
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 2/3 teaspoon Salt

line a rimmed baking sheet with foil 
and place a baking rack over it, 
coat rack with cooking spray and set aside

in a large bowl combine bread torn into small pieces and milk
let stand for a few minutes to soften bread
mash with Fork until a paste forms.

Add Meat, Parmesan, Seasonings, & Salt
Stir until evenly mixed

Shape into round meatballs and place on prepared baking rack.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes


While that is cooking - for extra healthy sauce try this --- 
this was great for Jeb who loves tomatoes but hates traditional Red Sauce.
We Served dinner tonight with both options... the Kids & I ate the Jar sauce of coarse...
But this was really easy to make - jeb was trying to eat it as a salad instead of over his pasta.

Sauce

1 tablespoon Canola Oil
2 pounds Plum Tomatos
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 easpoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
2 garlic cloves ( I use the kind in a jar - 2 tbsp = 1 clove )

Heat Oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat - Add Garlic - Cook fo 1 minute
Add tomatoes, Balsamic Vinegar, Seasoning & Pepper

Cook for 10 minutes and your done.

And for a really healthy meal serve over a fiber and calcium enriched pasta
We also had Asparagus - Which suprizingly even Brayden will eat - 
he normally doesn't try to eat anything like that!

Yum! Enjoy!




7 comments:

Jill said...

That sounds really yummy and it is so random that you posted that because Neil has been really wanting meatballs lately and I have never made them before. I will definatly try this. Do you cut up the tomatoes for the sauce?

Chris said...

oh yes sorry - I cut them into little pieces for sure - It is kind of a strong taste though - that is why I served the red sauce as well... Good luck.

*katie said...

Sounds tasty! I definitely need to make the meatballs, I usually just use the ones from Costco, but I would much rather make some homemade ones. :)

Jill said...

Chris - I made them tonight and Neil LOVED them. I changed a few things but they were pretty good. I used beef - and an egg rather than the milk and wheat bread. I did use parm cheese and bread crumbs too. It was really good.

Arica said...

...sweeeet! if only andrew ate meat, and if only i had enough patience to make everything from scratch. looks so good though. :)

Chris said...

hey ca it only took like a half an hour

Chris said...

make it with tofou or something