Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sugar?

I Read this - this morning - & thought it was funny - Funny because it is true - I think we have all set out to make sure our little babies get only the best of nutrition and somewhere along the way reality sets in - This is the story of my life - Brayden is getting better - but usually will not touch anything green with a ten foot pole!
What kinds of things do you do or offer your children to try to integrate healthier items into their diets?


Do you know that I once had a theory that if you fed Children nothing but nutritious foods, with no additives, preservatives, or sugar, they would learn to prefer these foods?
I should have recognized the reality at the first birthday party, When tradition triumphed over nutrition and I made a chocolate cake for the guest of honor. He put a fistful in his mouth and gave me a look I would not see again until I brought our next baby home from the hospital and told him that the baby was going to stay. The cake look, roughly translated, said,
" You've been holding out on me."
He of course set about catching up... The barber gave him lollipops the dry cleaner a tootsie roll. At the circus he had cotton candy, which is the part of the balance of nature designed to offset wheat germ.
The other night for dinner he was having vegetable lasagna and garlic bread, picking out the zucchini, the spinach, even the parsley - "all the green stuff" - Eating only the parts of the bread that had butter.
"Know what my favorite 
food is, Mom?" He said. "Sugar."


Anna Quindlen
Living Out Loud (1988)

0 comments: